Skip to main content

Donald Trump's America deports mother of two who has lived in US for more than 20 years

Donald Trump's America deports mother of two who has lived in US for more than 20 years

A mother of two who has lived in America for more than 20 years, is believed to have become the first undocumented migrant to be deported since Donald Trump came to power.
Guadalupe García de Rayos was 14-years-old when she moved to the US from Mexico.
After she was caught using a fake Social Security number during a raid in 2008 at a water park where she worked, she had been required to attend an annual meeting with US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
After a review of her case and some questions, in previous years she had been allowed to leave.
In 2013 she was allowed to stay in the United States even after a judge issued a deportation order against her because she did not pose a threat to anyone, and did not fit any of Mr Obama’s criteria for priority deportation.
But this year her meeting with ICE ended differently and she was taken into custody and ordered to be deported.
Her detention sparked protests in Arizona, where one man tied himself to the wheels of an immigration van and at least six demonstrators were arrested.
Immigration advocates said they believed her deportation reflects the Trump administration's hard line on illegal immigration.
"ICE had done what President Trump wanted -- which is deport and separate our families," Carlos Garcia, the director of immigration rights group Puente Arizona, told CNN.
While President Obama's administration prioritised deporting people who were deemed a threat to public or national safety, had ties to criminal gangs, or had committed serious offences or a number of smaller crimes, Mr Trump’s definition of “criminal alien” is so broad it could be applied to the majority of unauthorised immigrants.
But in an executive order, Mr Trump stipulated last month that undocumented immigrants convicted of any criminal offence — even those who have not been charged but are believed to have committed “acts that constitute a chargeable criminal offense” — have become a priority for deportation.
Thousands of others now face similar treatment when they report for their regular immigration checks, lawyers from two leading civil rights groups have said.
“We’re living in a new era now, an era of war on immigrants,” Ms Rayos’s lawyer, Ray A Ybarra Maldonado, told the New York Times.
Cecillia Wang, deputy legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union, also called Mr Trump’s internal enforcement order “alarming”, because it gave federal agents the power to decide who is and who is not a threat to security.
Mr Trump “took the gloves off agents and has permitted these agents to go after immigrants regardless of their ties and contributions to the United States” she said.
Ms Rayos was 14 when she left Acambaro, a city in an impoverished corner of the Mexican state of Guanajuato, and sneaked across the border into Nogales, Arizona, a three-hour drive from Phoenix. She married — her husband is also undocumented — and gave birth to a boy and a girl, who are now in their teens.
It is believed she was deported to Nogales, Mexico.
Her daughter Jacqueline said: “The only crime my mother committed was to go to work to give a better life for her children."

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...