Skip to main content

US Aircraft Carrier Strike Group Patroling South China Sea


US Aircraft Carrier Strike Group Patroling South China Sea
China has warned against challenging its sovereignty in the region despite competing claims by Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam


Tensions with China may be racheting up with the deployment of a U.S. aircraft carrier strike group in the South China Sea despite warnings from China’s Foreign Ministry against challenging Beijing’s sovereignty in the region.
Rear Adm. James Kilby said the carrier USS Carl Vinson began operations in the South China Sea on Saturday, a day after China wrapped up its own exercises, Reuters reported.
After weeks of training in the Pacific, "we are looking forward to demonstrating those capabilities while building upon existing strong relationships with our allies, partners and friends in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region," Kilby said.
The deployment follows training operations in the area by the littoral combat ship USS Coronado last week, the Navy said in a statement, and “freedom of navigation” exercises conducted in October by the USS Decatur, a guided-missile destroyer. China called the latter a serious breach of law, as well as a provocation.
The USS John C. Stennis conducted exercises in the area nearly a year ago.
The Vinson was last in the South China Sea in 2015 when it conducted joint exercises with Malaysian forces.
"China respects and upholds the freedom of navigation and overflight in the South China Sea, which countries enjoy under international law, but firmly opposes any country's attempt to undermine China's sovereignty and security in the name of the freedom of navigation and overflight," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang warned.
China has laid claim to nearly all of the resource-rich area despite competing claims from Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam. The waters contain sea lanes, rich fishing grounds, and oil and gas deposits.
China has claimed almost all of the South China Sea, including islands as far as 800 miles from the mainland, and has been building islands, some of which contain military installations. The Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative released satellite imagery in December showing weapons systems on all seven of the artificial islands.
During his confirmation hearing, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said China should be prevented from accessing the artificial islands.
The Vinson, which carries a flight group of more than 60 aircraft, is accompanied by the guided-missile destroyer USS Wayne E. Meyer.
Tensions between the U.S. and China have been building since U.S. President Donald Trump accepted a congratulatory phone call from Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen, the first U.S. president or president-elect to directly contact Taiwan in four decades. China considers Taiwan a rogue province.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...