Skip to main content

Egypt air force destroys vehicles crossing from Libya


The Egyptian military has flown multiple raids and destroyed 15 4X4 vehicles crossing from Libya, deploying fighter jets and helicopter gunships in an operation that spanned 48 hours.
The military didn't say who was driving the vehicles or give details of any casualties, news agencies reported.
The only information provided on Monday came on the Egyptian military's Facebook page, which claimed the trucks were carrying weapons and other contraband.
The air force operation came as security forces killed eight fighters identified as members of the Muslim Brotherhood in an attack in the country's south, according to the interior ministry.

President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has launched the toughest crackdown on armed groups in Egypt's modern history since toppling former President Mohamed Morsi of the Brotherhood in 2013.
Those killed included Helmi Masri Mohareb, a commander from Libya who transported fighters across Egypt's southern border to join training camps, the interior ministry said in a statement.
The fighters planned "to form groups to carry out a series of hostile operations in the coming period by sending elements from these groups to join training camps abroad", it said.
Egypt has outlawed the Muslim Brotherhood and designated it a "terrorist" group. The organisation maintains its activities are peaceful and had no immediate comment.
Morsi was elected as Egypt's first civilian president in 2012, but the army overthrew him a year later following mass protests against his divisive rule. Since then, an extensive crackdown on the group has left it in disarray after security forces violently quashed their protests.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...