Skip to main content

Nigeria: Biafra Protests Are Heating Up and Must Be Dealt With Peacefully, Amnesty Says



Nigeria’s security forces must deal cautiously with pro-Biafra protests on Tuesday, a year after dozens were killed in similar protests, Amnesty International has said.
Tuesday marks the 50th anniversary of the declaration of an independent Republic of Biafra, which was formerly a region in southeast Nigeria. The annexation of Biafra by an ex-Nigerian military commander, Odumegwu Ojukwu, sparked a three-year civil war in which at least 1 million people died.
Pro-Biafra activists, including the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), have called for stay-at-home protests in southeast Nigeria to mark what they call Biafra Heroes Day. Supporters of the Biafran cause have shared purported images on social media of empty streets in some southern Nigerian states; many businesses in the states of Anambra and Onitsha were closed Tuesday, Nigeria’s Premium Times reported
During similar commemorations on May 29-30, 2016, Nigerian security forces killed at least 60 and injured 70 pro-Biafra activists, according to a report by Amnesty. Police and soldiers raided a church where activists were sleeping the night before the pro-Biafra rally and carried out several extrajudicial executions on the day of the protests, according to Amnesty. A spokesman for Nigeria’s army said at the time that security forces had exercised “maximum restraint” and that the protesters had been violent.
“Last year’s heavy-handed response against pro-Biafra activists further stirred up tensions in the southeast of Nigeria,” said Osai Ojigho, the director of Amnesty’s Nigeria branch. “We urge the Nigerian security agencies to conduct themselves in a manner that will ensure public order without resorting to force.”

Newsweek contacted the police headquarters in the capital Abuja to ask if any arrests had been made on Tuesday, but received no immediate reply. On May 22, police arrested at least 55 pro-Biafra protesters in Enugu and Bayelsa states in the south of the country, Reuters reported ; pro-Biafra groups claimed the total was much higher.
Ojukwu’s declaration of Biafran independence in 1967 was prompted by waves of persecution of the Igbo—one of Nigeria’s three largest ethnic groups, who are concentrated in the southeast—which followed a 1966 coup by army officers, including some who were Igbo.
During its three-year existence, Biafra was largely populated by Igbos. The Nigerian military went to war against the separatists in July 1967 and imposed a blockade on Biafra’s borders, which resulted in widespread malnutrition and deaths by starvation.
Pro-Biafra sentiment has increased in recent years, particularly after the arrest of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu, a British-Nigerian dual national. Nigerian police arrested Kanu in October 2015 and charged him with several counts of treasonable felony, which carries a maximum sentence of the death penalty in Nigeria. But Kanu was held for almost two years without trial and was released on bail in April.
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, who was a general on the Nigerian side during the Biafran war, has been dismissive of the protests. In October 2016, the president said he was dismayed by demonstrations by “some people who were not even born during the war saying they want to divide Nigeria.”
But Nigeria’s Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo—who is the acting president while Buhari is on an indeterminate period of sick leave in the U.K.—made a more delicate plea for unity last week, saying that secession was not the answer to the perceived marginalization of the Igbo ethnic group.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...