Skip to main content

The Latest: Buhari leaves for London amid health fears

ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — The Latest on the release of Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped three years ago by Boko Haram extremists in Nigeria (all times local):
___
9:05 p.m.
The departure of Nigeria's president for more medical checkups in London is renewing fears for his health in Africa's most populous country.
President Muhammadu Buhari has missed three straight weekly Cabinet meetings in a row and is said to spend most of his time working from home.
His office on Sunday night said 74-year-old leader had delayed leaving for London so he could meet with the 82 Chibok schoolgirls released this weekend from Boko Haram captivity.
After a six-week medical leave in London earlier this year, Buhari indicated that further checkups might be needed. The exact nature of his illness is still unclear.
___
8:45 p.m.
The office of Nigeria's president says Muhammadu Buhari is now leaving for London for a medical checkup as fears continue over the state of his health.
The announcement Sunday night came shortly after Buhari said he had met with the 82 Chibok schoolgirls freed after being kidnapped three years ago by Boko Haram extremists.
The 74-year-old president spent a month and a half in London on medical leave earlier this year and returned saying he had never been so sick in his life. The exact nature of his illness is still not clear.
The statement says "there is no cause for worry" and says the length of Buhari's stay in London will be determined by his doctors. The vice president will be in charge.
___
8:35 p.m.
A presidential adviser says Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari is promising to do all that is needed to reintegrate the 82 freed Chibok schoolgirls back into society.
Femi Adesina told reporters Sunday night that Buhari promised the girls he personally would supervise their rehabilitation. He met with the girls at his official residence.
Adesina says the freed girls have been handed over to those who will look out for their rehabilitation. He says the president promised they will continue with their education.
The girls were part of a mass abduction by Boko Haram extremists three years ago.
___
8:25 p.m.
Nigeria's president says he has met with the 82 Chibok schoolgirls freed after being kidnapped by Boko Haram extremists three years ago.
President Muhammadu Buhari says on Twitter that "we've always made it clear that we will do everything in our power to ensure the freedom & safe return of our daughters & of all BH captives."
Photos tweeted by the president show dozens of the freed girls at Buhari's official residence.
__
7:20 p.m.
The 82 Chibok schoolgirls freed from three years of captivity with Boko Haram have arrived at State House, the official residence of Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari, to meet the leader and the press. The schoolgirls were released by the Islamic extremists in exchange for five Boko Haram commanders.
___
6:15 p.m.
Nigerian journalists gathered at State House, the president's official residence in Abuja, to see President Muhammadu Buhari welcome the 82 Chibok schoolgirls who were released from being held captive by Boko Haram for more than three years. The newly freed young women were flown by helicopters from northeastern Nigeria to Abuja in central Nigeria. The schoolgirls are expected to see their families but be kept in government care for counseling and medical treatment.
___
4:45 p.m.
A Nigerian government official says that five Boko Haram commanders have been released in exchange for the 82 Chibok girls.
The confirmation Sunday comes a day after the young women were liberated after more than three years in captivity by the Islamic militants.
There was no comment yet from the Nigerian presidency or Boko Haram, an extremist group linked to the Islamic State. The official who confirmed the release spoke on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to reporters on the matter.
Authorities say 113 of the 276 girls abducted from their boarding school back in 2014 remain missing. Girls who escaped said some of their classmates had died from illness. Others did not want to come home either because they'd been radicalized by their captors.
___
Bashir Adigun in Abuja, Nigeria
___
1:35 p.m.
Amnesty International says the 82 freed Chibok schoolgirls should be quickly released to their families and not be subjected to lengthy government detention.
The rights group's Nigeria office also says the girls don't deserve to be put through a "publicity stunt that largely doesn't reckon with their privacy."
The newly released schoolgirls were set to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari in the capital later Sunday.
Amnesty International is calling for more attention to victims of "less-publicized mass abductions" by Boko Haram extremists. The group had seized thousands of captives in less than a decade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ranking the World's Most Iconic Football Stadiums

  The world's top football stadiums are more than just venues for games; they're iconic representations of a team's heritage and character. Here are a few of the most renowned stadiums: 1. Wembley Stadium (London, England): This legendary venue has hosted some of the biggest games in football history, including the 1966 World Cup Final and the 2011 Champions League Final. Its impressive arch and excellent acoustics make it a standout stadium. 2. Allianz Arena (Munich, Germany): This modern stadium is known for its sleek design and vibrant atmosphere. Its exterior shell changes color depending on the team playing, making it a unique and recognizable landmark. 3. Santiago Bernabéu (Madrid, Spain): As the home stadium of Real Madrid, Santiago Bernabéu is a symbol of the team's success and legacy. Its excellent acoustics, modern design, and electric atmosphere make it a must-visit for any football fan. 4. Signal Iduna Park (Dortmund, Germany): This stadium is famous for its...

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

Panic Among Ministers As Buhari Set To Reshuffle Cabinet

President Muhammadu Buhari has confirmed speculations about an impending cabinet reshuffle and the reconstitution of the boards of federal agencies, to make the government function better. Buhari made his plans public in an address to party leaders at the APC NEC meeting yesterday. While admitting that the reconstitution of boards had been long in coming, the President explained that the need to ensure the right balance was largely responsible for the delay. This is coming two years after he took office in 2015. Those familiar with the President’s plan, said the planned cabinet reshuffle is likely to lead to a split of the Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Works, Power and Housing. Observers are of the view that the President’s latest move is aimed at dousing growing tension. President Buhari said, “I am keenly aware that our supporters are very eager for these appointments to be announced. By the Grace of God, these appointments will be announced soon, es...