Skip to main content

Suleja prison: Security operatives begin manhunt for escaped inmates

 

Suleja prison: Security operatives begin manhunt for escaped inmates





The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) has initiated a search for 109 out of 119 inmates who exploited the collapse of the perimeter fence of the Medium Security Custodial Centre in Suleja, Niger State, to escape from custody during heavy rainfall on Wednesday night.

According to a statement by the NCoS spokesperson, AS Duza, the incident occurred when the prison’s perimeter fence collapsed due to the prolonged and intense rainfall on Wednesday night, causing damage to the custodial facility and surrounding structures.

He said while 10 of the escaped inmates have been recaptured, efforts are underway to locate and apprehend the remaining fugitives. 

According to him, the NCoS has activated its recapturing mechanisms and is collaborating with other security agencies to track down the fleeing inmates.

Part of the statement read: “The service has immedi­ately activated its recapturing mechanisms, and in conjunc­tion with sister security agen­cies have so far recaptured 10 fleeing inmates and taken them into custody, while we are in hot chase to recapture the rest.

“The service is not unmind­ful of the fact that many of its facilities were built during the colonial era, and that they are old and weak.

“The service is making fran­tic efforts to see that all ageing facilities give way for modern ones. This is evidenced in the ongoing construction of six number of 3000-capacity ul­tra-modern custodial centres in all the geo-political zones in Nigeria as well as the ongoing reconstruction and renovation of existing ones.

“The service wishes to assure the public that it is on top of the situation and that they should go about their businesses without fear or hindrance. The public is fur­ther enjoined to look out for the fleeing inmates and report any suspicious movement to the nearest security agency.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...