Skip to main content

Antigraft war: Buhari personally monitoring governors as they spend Paris Club cash

Antigraft war: Buhari personally monitoring governors as they spend Paris Club cash

 - The Federal Government will be keeping a keen eye on the way in which the disbursed Paris Club funds will be spent by Governors in Nigeria
- The ministry of finance is set to release about N522 billion second tranche of the Paris Club refund to states
- There are controversies regarding the utilisation of the funds, hence, the FG will pay close attention as the governor's carryout required tasks
Kemi Adeosun, the minister of finance, on Monday, March 20, stated that the Federal Government would within 12 months carry out a detailed review of the claims submitted by the states as over- deduction on the Paris Club debt.
She said that while the states had all submitted their respective claims, President Muhammadu Buhari had reached an agreement with the governors that the reconciliation process be concluded within one year.
Punch reports that Adeosun in a statement issued by her meedia adviser, Festus Akanbi, explained that while the debt management office had initially requested for a period of 22 months to complete the reconciliation and facilitate disbursement; the president, after considering the plight of salary earners, directed that the exercise be completed within 12 months.
She described the directive by the president last week for the release of up to 50 per cent of the claims of each state pending final reconciliation as “anticipatory approval,” adding that reconciliation was currently being undertaken by the DMO, Office of the Accountant General of the Federation and the relevant state governments.
Accordingly, the minister explained that the disbursements were staggered in batches and payments would only be made when the claims of each state had been reconciled with the facts at the disposal of the Federal Government.
Vanguard reports that the ministry of finance is in the process of releasing about N522 billion second tranche of the Paris Club refund to states amid controversies over the terms for the releases.
Key controversial areas are the alleged fraud in the utilisation of the first tranche and alleged uneven treatment of the states in the transaction, as some states were said to have got excess of what was due to them, while others got far less.
Following the development, the finance ministry, yesterday, responded to the allegations in a statement, indicating it was going ahead with the releases while all controversies would also be addressed.
This it would do through a combined action of independent investigations, government audit and reconciliation of the accounts as well as involvement of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), in investigating the alleged fraudulent misapplication of the first tranche.
Kemi Adeosun, who noted that the terms of the refunds remained sacrosanct, however, said it was not possible to publish how much each state received since the exercise had not been concluded.
Adeosun said: “The Minister of Finance has deemed it necessary to address the issue of Paris Club Refunds and wishes to assure the public that the Federal Government has consistently complied with all extant rules and regulations in the disbursement of the Paris Club refunds to state governments.
“The Federal Government’s disbursement process is transparent and targeted at the attainment of specific economic objectives. The inability of some sub-national governments to meet salary and other obligations was considered inconsonant with the Federal Government’s economic stimulus programme. Claims with regard to over deductions had been made to the Federal Government, consistently since 2005. “
The Debt Management Office (DMO) initially requested for a period of 22 months to complete the reconciliation and facilitate disbursement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ranking the World's Most Iconic Football Stadiums

  The world's top football stadiums are more than just venues for games; they're iconic representations of a team's heritage and character. Here are a few of the most renowned stadiums: 1. Wembley Stadium (London, England): This legendary venue has hosted some of the biggest games in football history, including the 1966 World Cup Final and the 2011 Champions League Final. Its impressive arch and excellent acoustics make it a standout stadium. 2. Allianz Arena (Munich, Germany): This modern stadium is known for its sleek design and vibrant atmosphere. Its exterior shell changes color depending on the team playing, making it a unique and recognizable landmark. 3. Santiago Bernabéu (Madrid, Spain): As the home stadium of Real Madrid, Santiago Bernabéu is a symbol of the team's success and legacy. Its excellent acoustics, modern design, and electric atmosphere make it a must-visit for any football fan. 4. Signal Iduna Park (Dortmund, Germany): This stadium is famous for its...

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

Panic Among Ministers As Buhari Set To Reshuffle Cabinet

President Muhammadu Buhari has confirmed speculations about an impending cabinet reshuffle and the reconstitution of the boards of federal agencies, to make the government function better. Buhari made his plans public in an address to party leaders at the APC NEC meeting yesterday. While admitting that the reconstitution of boards had been long in coming, the President explained that the need to ensure the right balance was largely responsible for the delay. This is coming two years after he took office in 2015. Those familiar with the President’s plan, said the planned cabinet reshuffle is likely to lead to a split of the Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Works, Power and Housing. Observers are of the view that the President’s latest move is aimed at dousing growing tension. President Buhari said, “I am keenly aware that our supporters are very eager for these appointments to be announced. By the Grace of God, these appointments will be announced soon, es...