Skip to main content

U.S. 'Bombs' North Korea in Military Exercises in Korean Peninsula Drill

The U.S. deployed strategic bombers Tuesday to South Korea to participate in mock air raids in the Korean Peninsula as part of Washington and Seoul's ongoing massive joint military exercises simulating a war with North Korea.
South Korean F-15K and KF-16 fighter jets flew alongside the U.S. Air Force's B-1B strategic bomber in South Korea's Air Defense Identification Zone, South Korea's KBS radio reported Wednesday. The aircraft conducted operations simulating a crisis situation in the Korean Peninsula, where neighboring rival nations technically remain at a state of war since fighting in the 1950s. Since the conflict, Washington has maintained a military treaty with Seoul. The annual large-scale drills. known as "Foal Eagle," have been considered a major provocation by nuclear-armed Pyongyang, which has threatened to strike if it felt its sovereignty was threatened by the nearby operations.
The U.S. bomber had reportedly left from the Andersen Air Force Base in Guam and performed training exercises with Japanese F-15J fighters before joining the South Korean drills. Japan, another regional U.S. ally, has also expressed concern over militant rhetoric from North Korea, and conducted its first-ever civilian air raid drills last week after Pyongyang launched a barrage of missiles into the sea near Japanese territory.
The U.S. Navy's USS Columbus nuclear submarine was next to join the exercises. The Los Angeles-class submarine was described by the Navy as specializing in "undersea warfare" but also capable of striking targets on the surface and land, laying mines and deploying special forces. The vessel's deployment followed the arrival of the Navy's USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier to join the war games.
North Korea's development of nuclear weapons in spite of U.N. Security Council sanctions has been a source of heightened regional tensions. Over the past week, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visited South Korea, Japan and China and stressed "a different approach" on tackling Pyongyang, saying that "all options were on the table" including possible military action. China has traditionally been North Korea's strongest ally, but Beijing has censured Pyongyang for its renegade nuclear program, agreeing to impose sanctions along with the U.S.

North Korea attempted a missile launch Wednesday, which the U.S. and South Korea said failed when the projectile exploded shortly after launching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...