Skip to main content

Four dead in NE Nigeria suicide bombing: police


Maiduguri (Nigeria) (AFP) - Four people were killed on Saturday evening when suicide bombers blew themselves up in a village on the outskirts of Maiduguri city in northeastern Nigeria, police said.
Borno state police spokesman Victor Isuku said the incident occurred when three bombers -- a man and two women -- tried to enter Umarari village just outside Maiduguri.
"They detonated the IEDs (improvised explosive devices) strapped to their bodies while running to different directions," Isuku said.
Among the dead was a local vigilante and a woman and her two children, he said. Another eight people were wounded.
Ibrahim Abdulkadir, spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), said the vigilante had tried to prevent the bombers from entering the village.
"The vigilante was trying to stop them and that was when he was engulfed by the bomb and the woman was nearby," Abdulkadir explained.
The three bombers also died in the blasts, he said.
The Borno state capital of Maiduguri is the birthplace of Boko Haram, a radical Islamist group that has killed over 20,000 people and forced 2.6 million from their homes since taking up arms against the Nigerian government in 2009.
The violence has triggered a dire humanitarian crisis in northeast Nigeria and the wider Lake Chad region, which has also been hit by the conflict.
Nigerian troops, with the help of regional forces from Cameroon, Chad and Niger, as well as Benin, have since early 2015 managed to claw back most of the territory lost to Boko Haram in 2014.
But despite claims from the Nigerian military that the group is on the verge of defeat, suicide bomb attacks remain a threat to civilians, particularly in Maiduguri.
Boko Haram's elusive leader Abubakar Shekau made his first appearance in months last week, claiming responsibility for a spate of suicide bombings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

Ranking the World's Most Iconic Football Stadiums

  The world's top football stadiums are more than just venues for games; they're iconic representations of a team's heritage and character. Here are a few of the most renowned stadiums: 1. Wembley Stadium (London, England): This legendary venue has hosted some of the biggest games in football history, including the 1966 World Cup Final and the 2011 Champions League Final. Its impressive arch and excellent acoustics make it a standout stadium. 2. Allianz Arena (Munich, Germany): This modern stadium is known for its sleek design and vibrant atmosphere. Its exterior shell changes color depending on the team playing, making it a unique and recognizable landmark. 3. Santiago Bernabéu (Madrid, Spain): As the home stadium of Real Madrid, Santiago Bernabéu is a symbol of the team's success and legacy. Its excellent acoustics, modern design, and electric atmosphere make it a must-visit for any football fan. 4. Signal Iduna Park (Dortmund, Germany): This stadium is famous for its...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...