Skip to main content

China 'warns' North Korea of sanctions if it conducts any more nuclear tests

Taking the strongest ever stand against its neighbour, China has reportedly warned North Korea that it would impose unilateral sanctions against the regime if it conducts any more nuclear tests. The Kim Jong-un regime has conducted two nuclear tests in 2016 - the first in January followed by another in September, in addition to multiple ballistic missile tests.

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told Fox News on Thursday (27 April) that China has informed the White House about the warnings it issued to the North. "We were told by the Chinese that they informed the regime that if they did conduct further nuclear tests, China would be taking sanctions actions on their own."
However, there has been no confirmation from Beijing. It is also not clear when the threat was issued and what sanctions the Chinese government was referring to.

Earlier on 21 April, US President Donald Trump lauded his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping for trying "very very hard" to contain the North Korean threats. He had then revealed that some very "unusual" measures had been taken to counter the threats, but he did not elaborate on what the measures were.

The past few weeks have seen tensions rise on the Korean peninsula, with the US administration dispatching its powerful Nimitz-class supercarrier USS Carl Vinson in retaliation for Pyongyang's latest missile tests and its show of force on the country's founder's day last week.
Commenting on the mounting tensions between the two countries, Trump said on Thursday that there was a possibility of a "major major conflict" with Pyongyang in the coming days.

Meanwhile, Tillerson, who was part of a closed-door briefing on North Korea for US Senators, is scheduled to chair a meeting with UN Security Council foreign ministers on Friday (28 April). He is expected to stress the need for the council members to fully implement existing sanctions on North Korea. "We're going to be discussing what next steps may be necessary to increase the pressure on the regime," he noted.
According to Tillerson, US intelligence reports suggested the North Korean leader was "not crazy" and could be negotiated with. "He may be ruthless, he may be a murderer. He may be someone who in many respects we would say by our standards is irrational. But he is not insane," Reuters quoted the former Exxon mobile chief as saying.
Meanwhile, the North Korean regime has agreed, for the first time, to allow a UN representative working for human rights causes to visit the Pyongyang, according to Deutche Welle, which cited a statement from the United Nations Human Rights Council.
The council said on Thursday that Catalina Devandas-Aguilar, UN special rapporteur on the rights of persons with disabilities, will spend six days in the country to learn about how disabled people - especially children - live in the country.
"My upcoming visit to DPRK represents a key opportunity to learn first-hand about national realities, laws, policies and programs concerning people with disabilities, as well as the challenges and opportunities the Government faces in implementing the Convention," Devandas-Aguilar said in the statement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...