Skip to main content

Refugees recount South Sudan attack: “If you ran, you got shot”

NGOMOROMO, Uganda (Reuters) - It started out as a normal Monday morning in Pajok in South Sudan - children walking to school, shopkeepers raising their shutters and hawkers laying out their wares in the market, where a shower had just dampened down the dust.
Then, in the distance, came the rattle of machine gun fire as government soldiers from the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) clashed with rebel SPLA-IO (SPLA-In Opposition) militiamen lurking in the bush.
Fearing the worst after three years of civil war in the world’s youngest nation, Pajok’s residents – most of them from the minority Acholi tribe - started to head for the safety of home.
None of them made it.
Before they could hide, Land Cruisers and pick-up trucks carrying heavily armed SPLA troops stormed into the town from the north, east and west, blocking escape routes.
According to the accounts of dozens of Pajok residents who made it 24 hours later to the safety of Uganda, 15 km (10 miles) to the south, they then unleashed four hours of slaughter on the trapped civilians.
Shocking in its brutality, such attacks have nevertheless become normal in a civil war marked increasingly by ethnic confrontation and reprisals against civilians.
The United Nations said in December it had evidence of ethnic cleansing by both sides as the conflict slid towards genocide, the ultimate nightmare for a nation that six years ago – heavily backed by the West - realised its dream of independence from Sudan.
Most of the SPLA is made up of members of the Dinka tribe, South Sudan’s largest and most dominant. President Salva Kiir is a Dinka.
Given the confusion and trauma among the more than 3,000 refugees sitting under trees and huts at the Ugandan border, it was impossible to piece together an accurate death toll. It is likely to be well into double figures.
One survivor, 17-year-old Oriem Pol, said a group of men including his father, Torencio, were arrested before being lined up against a wall and shot.
Torencio was only spared so he could dig the graves of his fellow townsmen. Once his job was done, he too was killed.
“They slaughtered him the next morning,” Oriem said, drawing his index finger across his throat as tears streamed down his dust-stained cheeks.
Beside him, his mother lay in the dirt beside the road, 15 metres from the Ugandan military checkpoint, too distraught to speak.
"FLUSH OUT" REBELS
In the capital, the government denied attacking civilians in Pajok, saying its forces were merely conducting an operation against SPLM-IO guerrillas.
“We decided to flush the SPLM-IO force out and as a result 16 soldiers were left on the ground with some number of individual weapons,” deputy SPLA spokesman Colonel Santo Domic Chol said.
“We have decided to deploy a detachment at Pajok permanently in order to take care of the civil population there.”
The rebels denied this account, saying the government forces had simply decided “to take the fight to civilians in Pajok centre”.
Ugandan intelligence officials on the border told Reuters rebel militiamen had been in the area, but said the attack on Pajok was unquestionably SPLA.
The refugees said the entire town, which refugees estimated as having a normal population of as many as 10,000, was now empty, a similar fate to many other ravaged communities across Equatoria, the fertile region bordering Uganda that is increasingly bearing the brunt of the fighting.
Around 1.5 million people have fled the fighting, more than 10 percent of the population. Nearly a million of those have gone to Uganda, which is struggling to cope with the influx.
“There is nobody there now. It is completely empty. If they catch anybody, they will kill them,” said a Pajok pastor, who identified himself only as Mondaa.
Others spoke of the terror the moment they realised they had been ambushed.
“If you ran, you got shot; if you got arrested, you got slaughtered,” said 35-year-old Lokang Jacky. “There were women who got shot. We just slept in the bush and then at 6 this morning we started walking.”
Tony Aborra, a 42-year-old peasant farmer, had to be carried to Uganda on the back of a bicycle due to a bullet lodged in his right heel.
“It was a stray bullet, maybe a kilometre away,” he said, grimacing as he unwound the handkerchief bandage around the wound.
Nurse Margaret Alloyo said the SPLA forces attacked the town’s hospital, ransacking wards and medical supplies while taking staff hostage.
“We just ran,” Alloyo said. “I spoke to a colleague at the hospital, but she said she had been detained. I don’t know what has happened to her. Now the calls do not go through.”
(Editing by Alison Williams)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ranking the World's Most Iconic Football Stadiums

  The world's top football stadiums are more than just venues for games; they're iconic representations of a team's heritage and character. Here are a few of the most renowned stadiums: 1. Wembley Stadium (London, England): This legendary venue has hosted some of the biggest games in football history, including the 1966 World Cup Final and the 2011 Champions League Final. Its impressive arch and excellent acoustics make it a standout stadium. 2. Allianz Arena (Munich, Germany): This modern stadium is known for its sleek design and vibrant atmosphere. Its exterior shell changes color depending on the team playing, making it a unique and recognizable landmark. 3. Santiago Bernabéu (Madrid, Spain): As the home stadium of Real Madrid, Santiago Bernabéu is a symbol of the team's success and legacy. Its excellent acoustics, modern design, and electric atmosphere make it a must-visit for any football fan. 4. Signal Iduna Park (Dortmund, Germany): This stadium is famous for its...

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

Panic Among Ministers As Buhari Set To Reshuffle Cabinet

President Muhammadu Buhari has confirmed speculations about an impending cabinet reshuffle and the reconstitution of the boards of federal agencies, to make the government function better. Buhari made his plans public in an address to party leaders at the APC NEC meeting yesterday. While admitting that the reconstitution of boards had been long in coming, the President explained that the need to ensure the right balance was largely responsible for the delay. This is coming two years after he took office in 2015. Those familiar with the President’s plan, said the planned cabinet reshuffle is likely to lead to a split of the Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Works, Power and Housing. Observers are of the view that the President’s latest move is aimed at dousing growing tension. President Buhari said, “I am keenly aware that our supporters are very eager for these appointments to be announced. By the Grace of God, these appointments will be announced soon, es...