Skip to main content

South Korea hits back at Trump for demanding $1bn for Thaad missile deployment

South Korea has slammed US President Donald Trump's suggestion that Seoul should pay for the Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (Thaad) missile system that is now being deployed in the country. Trump had earlier questioned why the US was paying for the system that he valued at $1bn (£775m).
"I informed South Korea it would be appropriate if they paid. It's a billion dollar system," Trump said in an interview with Reuters on Thursday (27 April). "It's phenomenal, shoots missiles right out of the sky."
"There is no change in South Korea and the United States' position that our government provides the land and supporting facilities and the US bears the cost of Thaad system's deployment, operation and maintenance," South Korea's defence ministry responded.
Despite strong opposition from China, the US military started deploying the Thaad in early March in a bid to help South Korea intercept Pyongyang's ballistic missiles and defend itself against a potential missile attack from the isolated country.
The deployment has also been a major topic of discussion in South Korea's ongoing presidential race. Front runner Moon Jae-in's top foreign policy adviser said Trump's suggestion that Seoul pay for Thaad would be an "impossible option".
"Even if we purchase THAAD, its main operation would be in the hands of the United States," said Kim Ki-jung, foreign policy adviser to Moon and professor at Seoul's Yonsei University. "So purchasing it would be an impossible option. That was our topic when we were considering the options."
Trump's remarks came after the US started bringing in launchers, radar and other key elements of the advanced anti-missile defence system to the site in Seongju, south of the country, on 26 April. The surprise move to accelerate the deployment came amid tensions in the peninsula following North Korea's acts of belligerence, showing off its fire power.
Moon had called the move very inappropriate and regrettable and said it stripped the next Seoul government of its right to decide on its own about Thaad.
Thaad



Trump's comments seem to have taken South Korean businesses by surprise. An official from South Korea's automakers' association told Reuters that the group was now worried about the "uncertainty" of the free-trade deal.
"Talk and actual policy are different. They [the Trump administration] have not requested anything from us so we'll have to wait and see," a top South Korean finance ministry official, speaking anonymously, saidDonald Trump

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...