Skip to main content

Messi shows who's in charge at 'clasico' against Madrid

MADRID (AP) — Lionel Messi took off his shirt and lifted it high in front of him, boldly displaying his name and number to the stunned crowd at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.
He stood there for a few seconds, staring at the fans, as if making sure they knew who was really in charge.
Messi had just scored a last-minute goal that gave Barcelona a crucial 3-2 come-from-behind victory against Real Madrid, putting the Catalan club back in the Spanish league title race and adding to his dominance in the "clasico."
There's been no one better than Messi when the two Spanish powerhouses meet. He now has 23 goals in games between the two clubs, five more than Madrid great Alfredo Di Stefano and eight more than Cristiano Ronaldo.
While Ronaldo faltered throughout Sunday's game at the Bernabeu, failing to score goals that could have given his team a commanding lead over its rival in the league standings, Messi came through for Barcelona once again.
He also scored the team's first goal, helped set up the second by Ivan Rakitic and drew the foul that led to a red card for Madrid defender Sergio Ramos, leading Barcelona to a victory that reignited its chances of winning a third straight league trophy.
"Leo's greatness is that he keeps surprising us," Barcelona captain Andres Iniesta said. "After years and years, he continues to be decisive. For us, it's an honor to play with him. And for the club, it's a blessing. We have to try to keep up with him as much as possible so we can all play well and stay in contention in La Liga, which is wide open."

Messi's late winner allowed Barcelona to tie Madrid on 75 points at the top of the Spanish league standings with five rounds to go. Barcelona has the lead on the head-to-head tiebreaker, but Madrid still has a game in hand, at Celta Vigo.
"Messi was decisive, as always he always is," Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen said. "He makes the difference. There is not a lot to talk about him. He is a very special player."
Messi is enjoying another remarkable season, with 47 goals in 46 games. He has scored 14 goals in his last 10 Spanish league games, and is the competition's leading scorer with 31 goals, seven more than teammate Luis Suarez and 12 more than Ronaldo.
Messi had been going through a scoring drought in the "clasico", unable to find the net in six straight games. The last time he had scored against Madrid was with a hat trick at the Bernabeu in a 4-3 win in the league in 2014.
Playing with a bloodied mouth after a collision with Madrid left back Marcelo, Messi ended the drought by clearing two defenders with a run inside the area before sending a low shot past Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas in the first half at the Bernabeu.
His second goal decided the game, a left-footed shot from the top of the area with 12 seconds left in stoppage time after a low pass by Jordi Alba.
Messi's celebration, parading his shirt, sparked a fierce reaction from many Madrid fans on the stands behind the goal, where only a few people wearing Barcelona colors could be seen. The visitors' section was behind that same goal, but in the opposite side of where Messi ran to celebrate. Messi eventually was shown a yellow card for taking off his shirt.
The two goals on Sunday gave the 29-year-old Messi a total of 500 for his career with Barcelona, the most of any other player who has ever played for the club.
"Leo's 500th goal had to be special, just like he is," Barcelona defender Gerard Pique said. "I hope he will only retire several years from now."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...