Skip to main content

Tension mounts in Imo as Uzodimma Excludes Ohaji/Egbema, Oguta and Ikeduru from Commissioner Appointment


The distribution of commissioner positions among local government areas (LGAs) in Imo State has sparked discontent within the state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Governor Uzodimma recently nominated appointees for commissioner positions, with portfolios handed out on Tuesday. However, concerns have arisen in some LGAs that were not represented in the commissioner list.

Of particular concern is the fact that while some LGAs failed to secure a single candidate, others received multiple appointments, with some LGAs granted two or three opportunities.

After the initial batch of appointments, Uzodimma nominated second and third batches, with the final list released on the eve of the inauguration date.

The absence of commissioner nominees from LGAs such as Ohaji/Egbema, Oguta, and Ikeduru has fueled dissatisfaction among residents. Top APC leaders from these areas have faced inquiries from constituents over the lack of representation.

Of note is the discrepancy between LGAs within the same federal constituency. While Ohaji/Egbema and Oguta were denied commissioner slots, neighboring Oru West, from the same federal constituency, secured three commissioner positions.

Further exacerbating tensions is the allocation of three commissioners to Nwangele and two to Isu LGAs, which share a federal constituency with Ohaji/Egbema, Oguta, and Ikeduru.

Ehime Mbano LGA also received two commissioner positions, adding to the discontent among affected LGAs.

Reports suggest that leaders from the affected LGAs are planning to meet with Governor Uzodimma to address their grievances regarding the lack of representation in commissioner appointments






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers

  Jailbreak: FG pledges to relocate correctional centers Published   on   April 26, 2024 By   Esther Chisom Tunji-Ojo made the pledge when he visited the Suleja Medium Security Custodial Centre. DAILY POST recalls that 119 inmates escaped from the prison following a rainstorm that damaged the facility on Wednesday. The minister said it was imperative to relocate a lot of the correctional centres to a more conducive environment. “This facility was built in 1914 to house 250 inmates; before this incident, we had 499. “This is a testimony to what we keep talking about the overcrowding of our correctional centres. “You can look at the environment, it shows that we need to relocate them away from city centres to create better space, better security, and better infrastructure,” he said in a statement issued in Abuja by the Director of Press and Public Relations of the ministry, Mr Ozoya Imohimi. Tunji-Ojo said the ministry is already working behind the scenes to build a be...

FG set to deploy first batch of CNG vehicles ahead of Tinubu's one year in office come 29th May 2024

  FG announce plans to deploy the first batch of CNG Vehicles ahead of first anniversary of Tinubu in office on May 29th 2024. Said N100 billion was allocated to purchase 5,500 CNG vehicles, 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. Deployment of CNG vehicles is parts of FG’s vision to have at least one million natural gas propelled vehicles on the roads by 2027. The Federal Government has announced plans to start the deployment of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses and tricycles   for mass transit ahead of Tinubu administration’s first anniversary on May 29th. The move was disclosed by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, in a statement on Sunday April 21st 2024. According to him, the Federal Government allocated N100 billion last year to purchase 5,500 CNG-powered vehicles (buses and tricycles), 100 electric buses, and over 20,000 CNG conversion kits. The funding, which is part of the N500 billion palliative budget, a...

Jonathan Opens Up: "Why I Don’t Want To Testify For Metuh"

An application filed by former President Goodluck Jonathan before the Federal High Court in Abuja has revealed further reasons why he wants to be excused from appearing as a witness in defence of a former National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Olisa Metuh. Metuh is standing trial on charges involving, among others, the N400m he (Metuh) received from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014. The former President in his motion challenging the subpoena issued on him, stated that with “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him upon Metuh’s request was a ploy to drag his name in the mud. He also argued in the motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Monday, that his testimony being sought in Metuh’s trial, would not only amount to an invasion of his right to privacy, it would also expose him to a cri...